Maryborough Portside Bringing Life Back To Wharf Street, Bringing Portside Back To Life!
Maryborough Portside Buildings.
Customs House (Portside Centre)
The Federation style building, built in 1900, was Maryborough's second Customs House. It features a large central hall, which is naturally ventilated with high windows and arches, along with the British Coat of Arms on its fine façade.
It remained a Customs House until 1988 and opened as an interpretive centre in 2001. This building now houses the Portside Centre where visitors can view memorabilia and get information on Portside's past.
Customs House Residence
This grand home was built at the same time as the Customs House for the Customs Sub-Collector and his family. It is now home to Muddy Waters Café.
Customs House Hotel
Built in 1868 it was extended in 1883. Its past elegance reflects the rapid growth of the port at the time of the 1867 Gympie gold rush.
The hotel was used as a setting for filming in 1989 of the movie 'The Delinquents' starring Kylie Minogue.
This brick building on a sandstone base was built in three stages, in 1864, 1870 and 1883. It became the Bond Store Museum in 1993.
The Bond Store was part of the Customs complex to provide storage for goods that attracted a tax for Her Majesty's Custom Service. Imports included opium, cigars, tobacco, rum, wine, beer, and spirits.
A single storey boarding house, The Prince of Wales, first occupied this site. This was licensed as the Melbourne Hotel in 1864 but was destroyed by fire in 1878.
A two-story building was rebuilt and the third story was added in 1882.
Portside Passage/Old Warehouse Gallery
Maryborough's art goes on show in the Old Warehouse Gallery, located in the oldest surviving commercial warehouse in Maryborough.
Built in 1868, this building became a warehouse for wine and spirit merchants, Graham and Gataker, who supplied beer, rum and other spirits to the city's many pubs.
This area includes a paved walk-through courtyard with mature shade trees and works of art that reflect its rich history and is now known as Gatakers Artspace.
J.E. Brown Warehouse
J. E. Brown commenced business as a provisions and victuals merchant in 1857 in Richmond Street. He built this solid brick warehouse in 1879.
In later years, the premises were used for dances, balls, boxing tournaments and a restaurant. It currently houses the Maryborough Military & Colonial Museum.
Post Office Hotel
This hotel was built in 1889 and designed by Italian architect, Caradini. During the Second World War it was a popular meeting place for navy personnel.
The Post Office opened in 1866 and is the oldest surviving masonry Post Office in Queensland. In those early days, attached to the top of the tower was a wooden pole holding a Time Ball, which was lowered each day at 1pm. The tower was extended in 1879 for better visibility and to house a clock with four faces.
Adjacent to the Post Office was the site where the first Telephone Exchange in country Queensland was established in 1882 with 32 subscribers.
The Court House
The Court House was built in 1877 on the site of the first Immigration Barracks and remains true to its original style. The Court Room is a magnificent example of the courts of the era.
Maryborough's modern Excelsior Band Hall replaces the earlier hall destroyed by fire in 1987. It was designed in Victorian Style to compliment the precinct.
Directly in front of the Band Hall is the George Ambrose White Car park, which was the site of the city's first in-ground public baths opened in 1906.
On the last Sunday morning of every month, enjoy live brass band performances alongside the building in the Rotunda in Queens Park. Performance hours vary.
Australian Joint Stock Bank
Australian Joint Stock Bank, was built in 1882 for the Maryborough Branch of the Australian Joint Stock Bank. The Union Bank occupied the building from 1906. The classic revival style includes an arched entrance and upper level Corinthian pillars.
In 1899 during the time her father was the manager of the bank, Helen Lyndon Goff was born in the residence above. Later using the pseudonym P.L. Travers, she wrote the Mary Poppins series of books.
Maryborough Heritage Centre
Built for the Bank of New South Wales in 1878, iron columns support verandahs decorated with fine iron lace balustrades and wrought iron.
During the Gympie gold rush, four million ounces of gold passed through the major banks in Maryborough. Community groups involved with family and local history now occupy this building.
264 Kent Street
This building was erected in 1875 and was occupied by J.H. Bliss who was a watchmaker and jeweller and specialised in the supply and repair of maritime chronometers, barometers, sextants and navigational instruments.
This was an important business serving the busy port of Maryborough during the 1880s. Visitors may even have availed themselves of Bliss' skills as a maker of artificial teeth!